Palestinian killed in Rafah
Ashraf al-Qidra, the spokesperson for Gaza's ministry of health, said a second Palestinian had been shot dead by Israeli forces on Friday 17th of August. Sa'di Akram Muammar, 26, was killed east of Rafah, in the southern Gaza Strip.The number of wounded protesters has risen to 270.
One killed, scores wounded
One Palestinian has been killed by Israeli forces, according to health officials in Gaza.Karim Abu Fatayer, 30, died after being shot in the head by an Israeli sniper. Health officials said 154 other protesters were wounded, including four medics who suffocated from tear gas. The death of Abu Fatayer's brings the number of Palestinian protesters killed since March 30 to 165.
'Quiet build-up' to this week's protest
According to the Gaza Ministry of Health, at least 10 Palestinians have been injured near the Israeli fence.
A correspondent said, "So far today we've seen far less of the incendiary balloons and kites that Israel says have caused so much damage across the border," he said.
"It has been quiet in the build up to this week’s protest, and we saw that Israel has allowed the opening of Gaza’s only commercial crossing Karem Abu Salem earlier this week, and expand the restricted area which the fishermen can operate," he continued.
"It's vital if this calm is going to be maintained between Israel and Hamas that neither side commits what either side perceive as being a provocation." There has also been reports of an Egypt-UN mediated agreement between Hamas and Israel being reached has been circulating in Israeli media, which includes an extended ceasefire.
"There’s also been talk of potentially the rebuilding of some of Gaza’s infrastructure using foreign funding, and a lot of emphasis on a prisoner exchange as well," Stratford said.
"But Hamas has not confirmed these reports, and there hasn’t been an official statement regarding these talks from the Israeli side."

No comments:
Post a Comment